Three Reasons to Hire a Maritime Lawyer

Much like the medical profession today, the law has many fields that require a specialist. You wouldn’t hire a corporate lawyer for the sale of your home or a criminal attorney to draw up a will. Our waterways, for example, fall under the separate jurisdiction of “Admiralty Law,” also known as “Maritime Law. These terms refer to the federal laws that regulate injuries and accidents that occur to people, in most situations, on or near the water.  Below are three examples of when you would need a New York maritime lawyer.Image result for Three Reasons to Hire a Maritime Lawyer

Most states require car owners to carry some level of liability insurance. Many, however, do not require boat owners to take any insurance. Onboard accidents occur all the time. Slippery decks, moving to and fro, lead to many a mishap. Even on the largest boats, common accidents happen that may have nothing to do with the environment.  Whether you own the boat, or you’re the injured party, you will want a good Maritime Lawyer. While the possibility of colliding with another vessel may be small, it does happen. Imagine putting a hole in the side of a million-dollar yacht with your jet ski. If you survive the crash, you’ll want the best Maritime Lawyer you can find.

Maritime law designates cruise ships as “common carriers” and requires them to exercise a “special duty” to their passengers.  This means that Cruise liners must use extra care to protect you from harm. They have an obligation to ensure your safety while onboard their vessel and may be liable for any illness or injury you suffer during your cruise. Many unfortunate things happen to passengers during a cruise. Some of the most common include slip and falls, contaminated food, pool accidents, and injuries that occur during on-shore excursions.  Also, the Norovirus has plagued cruise ships lately. The close conditions of passengers and crew make for easy transfer of the virus from one person to the next.

If you work as a seaman, or for any company that does business on the water, you may be covered under Maritime Law. These laws can secure compensation for your injury in three different ways. First, you may be able to file a claim for “unseaworthiness.”  Unseaworthiness means that the owner did not keep the vessel in safe working order or did not provide a properly trained crew. Second, you may file a claim for “maintenance and cure.”  “Maintenance” pays your day-to-day living expenses while “cure” covers any medical costs you may incur. Your third option is the Jones Act. The Jones Act provides compensation to sailors who become sick or get injured while working at sea.