First, let me tell you all I am not the healthiest eater in the world. I am morbidly obese, but since my husband was diagnosed with diabetes, we have had to start thinking about eating healthier. It is easier than we think to make food healthier.
- Use ground turkey instead of ground beef. Okay, I know, it doesn't sound that good. I bought some just to try and made tacos. Guess what, it brings out a new flavor for you! Not a bad flavor, but a very inviting delicious flavor.
- I LOVE bread. Absolutely. Definitely. LOVE. Okay, now you know what my adulterous mind is thinking. BREAD. There are less calorie solutions. There are bread slices that are 50 calories each. Yep, you can still eat bread, but have a healthy diet at the same time.
- If you are making a casserole that needs a cream of mushroom or cream of chicken, get lower sodium soup. Yep, I know you read that right. You won't be able to tell a difference, but your heart may. I know that the doctors tell me that I need to lower my sodium levels, so perhaps you should too.
- Who really indulges in ice cream? I do! I know I cannot be the only one that really likes ice cream. You can go with a weight watchers bar or other low fat bars. They still get the job done, but without so many calories. Any way you can lower that calorie count, you can lower your risk for gaining more weight.
- Eat a salad with your meal. If you serve a salad or other veggie first, you are less likely to consume as many calories. While you are eating the salad, go with a lower fat content dressing. Test out a different salad dressing.
- Are you in a hurry and want to grab something at a fast food restaurant. Well, if this is your dinner choice, check out the online calorie count from your favorite fast food restaurant then decide what you want to eat. I know, sometimes I REALLY want that Whopper from BK. The Whopper Jr. is probably a better solution, and don't large size that. Perhaps you can even order water. Cutting back on your portions will eventually make it so you don't need to eat as much as you once did.
- Breakfast. The first meal and some say the most important meal of the day. I love my Cocoa Puffs. Yep, perhaps now you are seeing why I am a bit over weight. Once a week, choose oatmeal. Put raisins or other fruit in it if you want. Oatmeal has been proven to lower cholesterol.
- Fruit Protein Smoothies. Get yourself some pasteurized egg whites and put 1/3 cup into your blender.. Get 3/4 cup of your favorite juice. Then put in a cup of your favorite frozen fruit, and you have a wonderful healthy smoothie. Great for the whole family, plus you will be getting your protein. This is a wonderful substitute for a milkshake.
- I love potato chips. I am one of those people who could sit down and eat a whole bad by myself unless I demand my husband keeps it away from me. Now they 100 calorie packs. I tell myself I REALLY don't need the whole bag. If you don't want 100 calorie packs, go for the baked chips.
- Probably the most important thing is drinking enough water. My sister who has successfully lost 60 lbs and my brother who lost about 40 lbs told me it was much easier to lose the weight when they drank water. Some days they didn't drink water, and they gained weight, where if they were eating the same on another day, they stayed the same.
Disclaimer: I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and WeightWatchers SmartOnes blogging program, making me eligible to get a $50 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here